One of our favourite "semi-cheats". An awesome replacement for mac and cheese, we especially love this in winter. For those cold days when we really crave something cheesy and comforting. We like to change it up with the flavours, but the base stays the same. We'll share some of our favourite variations, but this is again a great dish to adjust to your own taste.
Ingredients for 4 people - 2 small or 1 large cauliflower '
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2-3 cups milk
-4 cups grated cheese (pick your favourite cheeses, we usually use cheddar for our simple version)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- onion, ham, chilli peppers - bacon, breadcrumbs
- parmesan cheese
- chop the cauliflower in small (macaroni sized) pieces
- boil the cauliflower in a pot of water until it's soft but still has some but (8-12 minutes)
- drain the cauliflower
- melt the butter in a sauce pan
- add the flour to the butter when it's melted
- stir for a a few minutes
- slowly started adding in 2 cups of milk
- start adding the cheese bit by bit
- add extra milk if you want your sauce thinner
-add the spices
-mix the cauliflower and cheese sauce
-fry the bacon, take out of the pan, add breadcrumbs into the pan and fry for a few minutes, mix the bacon into the cauliflower cheese mix, put the cauliflower in a oven dish, cover with the breadcrumbs, put in over on 180 C for a few minutes
- fry some onion and ham in a pan, add chilli flakes, stir into the cauliflower cheese mix
- put the cauliflower cheese mix in an oven dish, cover with parmesan cheese, but under the broil for a few minutes until cheese starts to brown.
The recipe is great simple start to very many different versions of cauliflower and cheese, and very easy to adjust to your taste. As always let us know if you come up with new ideas!